We ‘Believe in Better’… ♻️🌾 My first step in leading an environmentally conscious lifestyle began with reusable bags and water bottles, now this 📲🌎Pela is a Canada-based company that produces eco-friendly phone cases. They utilize plant material 🌿 and bioplastic instead of traditional plastic and can biodegrade within your home composting environment. What exactly is their bioplastic? Quoted from Pela directly:
Flaxstic®, which is comprised of GDH-B1 compostable bioplastic elastomer and flax straw materials. Our material has been tested to be safe and free of phthalates, BPA, cadmium and lead… it meets U.S. (ASTM D6400-04) and E.U. (EN 13432) standards for composting in an industrial composting facility and has a lower carbon footprint and lower greenhouse gas emissions than traditional plastic.
[The] overall biobased content by weight to 45%. The remaining 55% of our current Flaxstic® formulation is comprised of non renewable resources. Our ultimate goal is to continue to work with the best bioplastic companies to advance the bioplastic and biopolymer science to get to 100% biobased content. We are not there yet, but we will keep trying and we believe 45% biobased is better than none.
So while it’s not made with 100% biobased content, it is still more friendly to our oceans than the traditional plastic cases. The the best part of it all: the closed loop system means that once you’re done with the case, you can toss it in the compost without worry of polluting the planet—or ship it back to Pela for them to recycle it into more Pela products!